Wednesday, February 2, 2011

From Today's devotion time

For my Bible study, we are working throught the book of Ephesians.  This week's chapter was chapter 4.  There were lots of familiar verses of course, but then what's fun is how something new stands out to you every time you read it.   Verse 32 is one we all teach our kids "Be ye kind, tenderhearted to one another..." .  I love this verse and use it with my little ones all the time.  Today I was reading in the NIV and it says "Be Kind and compassionate..."  Think about that, it's not enough to just be kind but you also need to be compassionate.  I know for myself that I can be kind to people, but that is where I leave it, just enough to get by.  Compassionate, that's a big word, I mean big in it's meaning.  When I think of compassion, I think of a deep love for someone else, wanting to protect them, take care of them.  That's a lot more then not yelling at someone that does something annoying, or sharing some food with someone.  Compassion is a deep care and concern for a person's well being.  I think I am going to need a little more time with this thought.  My corrections with my children need to be changed a little to, because it's not enough to tell them just to be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment